Friday, April 18, 2008

I Cheated

I cheated on the book tag below. I chose the best of three options. I wanted to share the other two books just to be fair. 


The first is "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History" by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. It's a tough read, for me. I'm reading bits and pieces here and there, until the library check out runs out. I think Chelle met the author once.

The second book is "The Daring Book For Girls," by Miriam Peskowitz.  I also have "The Dangerous Book for Boys," which Nic loves. These books are like old encyclopedias of everything fascinating to young kids. The 123 page in this book was about female explorers, in particular, Amelia Earhart. It covers everything from knot tying and campfire songs, to brief histories on women and how to play games. The cover alone caught my attention, I'm a sucker for pleasing packaging and the cover is fantastically enticing, and is sparkly! Nic spent hours one night reading the boys book. It's like reliving everything cool about boys camp or summers at Grandpas.
I'm going to sound like the guy from Reading Rainbow, but check it out anyway.
(On a side note - I secretly wanted to give a book report on reading rainbow. I would pretend in front of my mirror, but I could never get up the courage to give one in school.)

4 comments:

Zanzi & Buzz said...

Ha! I started "Well Behaved Women..." and didn't get very far before I had to return it to the library! (Too many holds to renew.) I really did want to read it, I think I just need to do it when the kids are grown and moved away....

Yin said...

I want to read Ulrich's book as well. Did you ever read A Midwife's Tale? I think that is the book Ulrich's quote originally showed up in. Let me know what you think about the book, and maybe I'll pick it up at the library when you are done.

Darilyn said...

We gave our Emma the Daring Book for Girls for Christmas and she loves it. I love it too and I have to admit it was certainly the packaging that drew me to that book.

Chelle said...

I did meet Laurel Thatcher Ulrich and she is quite a woman. Very smart and articulate and she said she NEVER expected to see that phrase on bumper stickers in fact she wrote the original book or paper and it wasn't until years later that the quite even became popular.

Anyway, I do admire her and what she has done.