Saturday, March 29, 2008

England and Scotland Trip



Nic and I are putting together a trip to England and Scotland for the end of summer.  We picked the UK  for several reasons. 
1. We speak english, they sort of do.
2. Driving on the wrong side of the road sounds exciting, plus Nic is cool with it from his days in Japan.
3. No swimsuit weather. 
4. We will get passports.
5. My ancestors are from there, and France.
6. We can chunnel it over to Paris.
7.  We need a trip to motivate us/we need a break.
8. I want to see Nic in a kilt.

So, I know Katie Elaine just got back, and several of you who actually read this (all two-thanks Chelle and Alicia) have been there.  Any insider tips? Any thing you loved or could have skipped?  
I have been watching Rick Steves on OPB for years, so I think I'll be reading his books before we go.  The shows are the best, he is a total goober, but seems to have a good time.


10 comments:

Yin said...

How exciting! I did a semester in London way back in 1998 (before the hideous ferris wheel was built). I'd love to talk to you about it and give you my suggestions.

Darilyn said...

Ahhh, very exciting. I love a good trip to look forward to. Why don't you want swimsuit weather? Because of the swimsuit? I've never been to Europe so I can't be any help but if you want some cool sites to check out that I use to help me before my trips check out seatguru.com and my new favorite homeandabroad.com. I can't wait to hear more about this.

Anonymous said...

you are going to have the best time! how long are you planning on being gone? I loved yorkshire. I really wish I had been able to go to the southern coast. Too bad those are in opposite directions, right? oh man, there is so much to see there.

Zanzi & Buzz said...

Do you know both Scott and I served in England on our missions? He was up north and I was down south. We should get together and let all these crazy girls play and I'll tell you about it! Love Rose Bowcut

Jill said...

That is an exciting trip to plan. My brother Adam served his mission in Scotland and I hope to visit there someday. My friend that I'm going on the cruise with in October wants our next cruise to be one with stops in Scotland. Can't wait to hear your plans.

GrandmaPaula said...

Hey, I thought you said there were pictures of the girls in their new dresses on your blog?
I want pictures!
MOM!

GrandmaPaula said...

Hey, what happened to the pictures of the girls in their dresses? I want photos!

Anonymous said...

make sure you get to York...great walking city, and one of the last in the UK surrounded by a wall and is one of the oldest cities in the world - was a roman city and viking. I lived there for over a year. Loved it.

The Yorkshire dales are beautiful for hiking as well...Harrogate and Ripon are lovely (all within a short drive from York). Durham is nice, and Edinburgh is very cool.

send me an email (so i have yours) and I'll give you more places!! hansennathaniel [at] gmail [dot] com

Jealous.

Hailey Vial said...

thanks for all the comments everybody. I can't wait to hear all your stories and talk to you personally.

Heather said...

All I want to know is if I can come? Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy!