Friday, January 29, 2010

astoria weekend

I have a crush on Astoria. It's small and interesting and beautiful and wet and I just like it. I think it fits my idea of what an authentic NW beach town should be. Plus Goonies and Kindergarten Cop were filmed there, need I say more?
Nic and I took K and CC to stay in a yurt for the weekend a couple years back. We were attacked by raccoons that trip and found the best fish-n-chips in the world, Bowfingers.
So, we took off for the weekend and stayed again at Fort Stevens, this time in our sweet pea green Prowler trailer *minus heat* and it turned out to be a cold one, but my resourceful man bought us some space heaters for the next night! We hit the Astoria Column, and Nic made ALL of us walk all the way up. You don't see Kennedy in the family pix, because she was clinging to the side. I'm very proud of her, I didn't go last time.
We hit Bowfingers, and it still claims the title of "Best fish-n-chips in the world". Found a consignment shop and cleaned them out of all their size 9 and 10 little girl shoes. The trolley that runs along the coast wasn't operating, it's seasonal, but we walked the piers and went to a beautiful drive to Long Beach, Wa. Found some shells, spun some cookies, and collected drift wood for our tin foil dinners.
Lovely trip. Lovely family. Nice to be just a six pack of crazies (notice the All-American Freeze Out pic.)



























13 comments:

Caitlin said...

I'm diggin' the sepia tone, looks very awesome and the pic of CC is so awesome! a little sad we didnt go :( but we finally sold the car!!

Melissa said...

Your photography and writing skills are amazing!

The Thomas Family said...

Beautiful pictures!!!! LOVE the last one. You're so talented. :)

The Wright Family said...

Great pictures! Have you taken some photography classes? That last pic of CC is my favorite! Amazing.

Desiree said...

We've been eying Fort Stevens, it looks lovely! Now we really have to go try it out, I'm sold. I love those family trips where everything is just so...

Michelle Jones said...

Beautiful pics (again). . . you have such an artsy fartsy side to you!!!

What kind of camera do you use to get such awesome resolution?

Alicia Vial Beesley said...

Nice, I dig your pics lady!

Tonya said...

You seriously take the most fun, candid pictures. LOVE it!

Shelby Carol said...

Wow! You've definitely become a great photographer! Maybe I could use your expertise for my wedding?!?! <3 YOU!

Christian and Kennebec Vial said...

I would have to agree with everyone before me, awesome pictures! They're all so frame worthy! Sounds like a fun family trip, I've heard of Astoria, my mom has always wanted to live there.

and thank you for all the baby girl clothes! I don't think I ever told you...but they are great so thank you, Zur wore some pj's from you last night, she stayed nice and toasty:)

Jen said...

Your pictures are GREAT! I love the one of CC. i wish I could take beautiful pictures! I am really missing the beach. We are going to Oregon this summer so I hope we make it to the beach.

paula said...

Getting really good with the camera. Love all the pictures. What a fun time to get away with just the kids.

GrandmaPaula said...

Oh, Honey, your photo are fantastic! I love your talent and my grandkids. Miss you always!