Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Day 3 of Artic Blast 2008

I love that you just can't have a "winter storm" anymore. It has to be ARTIC BLAST 2008!!!
The girls are out of school for the second day, and we didn't have church on Sunday. So needless to say, we are a little stir crazy. I have lost my camera again, it's one of those residual effects of childbearing, I have no memory. So no fantastic pictures of Nic on his banshee (really scary 4 wheeler), doing cookies on our street, or CC bundled up resembling the little boy in "A Christmas Story" who couldn't put is arms down. No chummy photo of Kennedy and her friends with their frozen faces and red ears. Nope, but that's alright. I also don't have photos of me still wearing my robe for the third day in a robe (I did shower yesterday, I think). Or Ava and Bree crying hysterically because I wouldn't bundle them up to romp in the snow like their big sisters. We just don't have enough snow clothes to go around. I've never needed gloves or boots for them in the past.
It was a funny sight when we first took Kennedy to Utah for her first winter. We had to borrow gloves and boots from my mom's neighbors, and she wore her columbia rain jacket that was the same color/pattern of her cousin Kate's snow jacket. Different climates.
Anywho, we are surviving. We have playdohed, baked cookies, colored, wrapped presents, unwrapped presents, decorated the tree, and caused mayhem and madness for three days, I'm done. And guess what is going to happen next week, no school for three weeks. The song "It's beginning to look alot like Christmas" comes to mind, especially the line, "And mom and dad can hardly wait for school to start again."
So I salute you ladies in the NW who are finding that entertaining your children 24/7 the week you thought you had free to finish things before you had your kids in your face and crawling all over you for three weeks. Hang in there, and take a deep breathe. I just did a lesson in Relief Society about Pres. Monson's theme of "Joy in the Journey". He said we'd look back at these days and moments and miss them when we are older. So, I'm enjoying this moment and the time I have to snuggle up with my girls, watch movies, be creative, and hold them a little bit closer.
Stay warm, stay happy.
Hailey

9 comments:

Blogful said...

Wish we could send some warm sunny weather your way! Hang in there.

Jen said...

It has been really cold here as well. the low was -19 one night. Sunday it was 3 degrees with some light snow. Do you think they canceled church NO! They did cancel school yesterday, but only for my kids school there was no heat! Hey that is what coats are for people! Anyway I remember moving here 2 yrs ago and we had to go and buy hats, gloves and boots for everyone now we had tons:) Good luck with finishing up Christmas!

Anonymous said...

This is just an awesome post- what a crack-up.

I actually hate winter. I'm dying here, even though it's been a little light on the snow lately. We did get a little snow down in Utah today and a little over the weekend, but for the most part it's been dry as a bone, and kinda warm.

But I got a call last week from a friend in New Orleans to tell me about the record snowfall they just got there. The closest thing she could find to a winter coat at Wal-Mart was a hoody.

Veekfam said...

I agree. I know I'm reminded to enjoy these moments.....but I am half asleep through some of them! How am I supposed to remember that? Thanks for being an inspiration that...yes...we all can survive twins!!

Love ya!

Chelle said...

I love that you are in your robe for the third day in a robe! That's what staying in your robe does to you.

Here's to Joy in the Journey!

Alysha said...

Hey there! I had to check out your blog. What a cute bunch of girls!! Bet they keep you busy.
We finally got enough snow last night that we actually had to shovel the drive way. I remember the snow being so much more fun when we were young.

Tonya said...

And here I am still in my jammies sitting on the computer. I did play hard in the snow with my kiddos yesterday. It was fun, but I prefer to be warm. They are all out right now. I should join them, but I really don't want to at the moment! All my kids are wearing their two sizes too small snow gear. Who wants to stock up every year on that when we aren't even guaranteed snow? I do want to get some good sleds however, ours suck.

Melissa-Mc said...

Enjoy all those fingerprints on the walls and windows!

Hailey Vial said...

I didn't intentionally write "robe for the third day in a robe" but doesn't it sort of fit?