Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I finished the Portland To Coast Relay











We came, we walked, we stunk!

After months of preparation, my 11 person team finished the 127 mile Portland to Coast relay on Saturday. It took us about 31.5 hours to walk from downtown Portland to Seaside, OR.

We had a van and a suburban, 6 people in one, 5 in the other, and Van #1 started first. My mom started walking at 5am on Friday. Each person walked 2 legs of anywhere from 3-8 miles, depending on the leg they were assigned. I had 2 4+mile legs, both in the daylight . It was nice walking in the country roads. Our last walker from Van#2, Alicia (taking 3 legs!) crossed the finish line right on the sandy beach of Seaside, OR on Saturday afternoon.

Months ago, I blogged about needing a goal and choosing the Portland to Coast. I bullied Nic into joining, and gathered ten others. We were all new to the race, and named ourselves, "Team First & Last", being that it was our first time, and we'd probably come in last. or it would be our last. In the end, we had 11 adventurous, roadkillers. John, Rachel, Paula, Liz, Sig, Nic, Nate, Caitlin, Tucker John, Alicia, and me. Late thursday night, two of our walkers pulled out, and within hours we had Sig on board. She gets the most sponetaneous award!

I am writing this from the comfort of my bed, with my feet up and resting. It's an exciting thing to be a part of, and we are already starting to plan for next.
-Hailey
p.s. Jiggly Piggly Wigglies Rock!

14 comments:

Chelle said...

What a blast, it looks like you all had a great time. It really did make me want to be there. And by the way, you are looking hot!!

Darilyn said...

how did i miss your blog post on this? I've been dying to do this! count me in next year please!

Rich Vial said...

I am a little worried about the "we're coming for your panties" art. Good Job though.

Hailey Vial said...

R- You should be worried, because it's not "your" panties they're after, it's "You're". The english major in me was dying to correct their window art.

Sofia D. Hoiland said...

Yay! Go Team First and Last! Hoilands-Hones-Lents are walking the Hood to Coast next year for sure. I see John, Rachel and Alicia in these photos, thanks for posting!

paula said...

Yeah to be able to do the race. Yeah!! that is is over. Maybe next year we can all do it. Kenni chris dad me,Kevin?? Chelle? who knows. Sounds like you had a blast in the middle of a few break downs pare for the race. PMV

Melissa-Mc said...

Good job!!! I would love to do something like this. Jesse did Hood to Coast when we lived there.

Jesse's best man was Mike P. I think we had this conversation when I lived there, but it is in the very far corners of my memory. Small world.

Yin said...

Hooray! It looks like you had a blast. Yang ran hood to coast and I told him next year it is my turn. It will probably take me all year to train for it.

Wilde Things said...

Wow! Congrats! I don't know how anyone does it!

Becca said...

good for you Hailey! That's quite an accomplishment

Zanzi & Buzz said...

Rock on all of you! I was training for Hood to Coast and got a stress fracture. Grrrr. So crazy me, I still want to do it someday.

Carrie said...

Way to go! I'm totally impressed with your discipline and dedication. That's impressive.

Relax your tootsies and enjoy your sore bum!!!

Shelby Carol said...

Hailey, that's awesome that you guys did this! And you are looking way hot! Keep it up! But definitely count me in next year, it sounds like a blast! I love you!

Veekfam said...

That looks fun Hailey, if you need someone for next year, count me in. You, by the way, are looking awesome!! We miss you guys.

Love The Veeks