Monday, November 23, 2009

Condensed Soup


Here's another "condensed" version of what we've been up to. I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year. My mom and stepdad are coming up from Utah, and my little brother from Seattle. I'm super excited to cook "Hawaiian Turkey", it's wrapped in banana leaves and covered in Hawaiian salt (it you want the recipe, let me know!)

I'm 29 again, and celebrated with friends who like to dress up and pretend they're monsters as much as I do.


I started homeschooling Kennedy last week. It's going well, I'm learning a lot, and we are both enjoying spending more time together. My motivation for doing this was Kennedy weight and self esteem were both in crisis, and I feel that this is the right thing for her for now. I am not planning on homeschooling after this year. Our goal is to have a positive experience together, to learn nutrition, and to exercise so that when 4th grade starts next fall, Kennedy will be ready and happy to start school again.
I am not homeschooling Sierra, although today she said she wants to. I don't think she understands that Kennedy still has to do schoolwork. It's a little tricky on timing, with the twins and CC half day schedules, but it's working for now. And if anything, I'm just loving that Kennedy wants to be with me. There will come a time, all too soon, where she will not. So, for now we are learning together, this week it's Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, the illustrated Doctrine and Covenants, and fractions. Good times!

Last week, I got to take her to the Pittock Mansion for a field trip. I was loving all the wallpaper and beautiful views, and this is what she told her Dad that she got out of it, "Those people were SHORT!" (Their beds were itty bitty, and low to the ground.)

9 comments:

Desiree said...

It's amazing what you can do with homeschooling, sounds like it was the right thing for her right now. Sounds like a yummy Thanksgiving, hope you guys have a good time.

Christian and Kennebec Vial said...

looks like fun! homeschooling always means you can do way cooler stuff. I'm glad you and Kennedy get to spend more time together, that seems like it would be really nice. You're a good mama Hailey, hope it all goes well!

Tonya said...

Good for you for hosting Thanksgiving! That turkey recipe sounds divine. I wouldn't know what in the heck to do with banana leaves or where to even find them. I so much know what you are going through with Kennedy. I have had the EXACT same thoughts about my Sophia. We need to chat...calling you.

Rich Vial said...

Good on ya mom.

Kendra Goodrich said...

I so want to go there, I don't think I've been since I was in grade school. How fun!

Darilyn said...

I'm so glad you are feeling good about this. I'm proud of you for doing it. It's not an easy decision to make and certainly makes your days even busier. But the benefits can really be rewarding. Oh, and happy birthday my friend. I will be turning 39 again real soon.

Alicia Vial Beesley said...

yeah for good moms and cool kids! You two look really cute in that picture!

Michelle Jones said...

I love that you're integrating scriptures and nutrition into her school work.

You really are a good mom.

Veekfam said...

Wow, what an amazing task you have undertaken, but one I truly admire you for. That's a big step from an obviously way motivated Mom. Your posts make me miss Portland and being around you guys!!